Matthew's Reviews > Brave New World

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brave New World.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

The was my run away favorite dystopia. What did you think about it?

Matthew I like it a lot, though I prefer _1984_ in the Pepsi Challenge of dystopian literature. Specifically, I like how _Brave New World_ demonstrates how societal "permissiveness" can be used to control individuals as surely as the iron fist of a totalitarian regime. BNW also touches on the ethical issues surrounding technological improvement/modification of humanity, but IMHO seems to lose this point when it focuses on Savage's "human nature".

I like to read this along with Skinner's _Walden Two_, seeing both as malignant mutations of Bellamy's _Looking Backward_.

I've flipped through Huxley's _Brave New World Revisited_ recently, but I'd like to spend more time with it later.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Did you ever read that "Walden 1984" book you wrote me about? I liked BNW world the most because it was the closest to reality out of the four major Dystopias, specifically in regard to the societal permissiveness as social control aspect you replied about. I also read the BNR Revisited essay shortly after the book, it was a pretty good reflection.