David H's Reviews > A Short History of Nearly Everything

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson

Jan 25, 12

Read in November, 2011

The bits that resonated with me were all the stories of scientists who for various reasons did not receive recognition for their work, or simply failed in their pursuits. Too often we hear of the successes of great scientists, but Bryson rightly gives these lesser-knowns their due credit and puts into perspective the difficulties faced by those chasing truth and knowledge in a complex and mysterious universe. Great read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Short History of Nearly Everything.

Quotes David Liked

Bill Bryson
“It is easy to overlook this thought that life just is. As humans we are inclined to feel that life must have a point. We have plans and aspirations and desires. We want to take constant advantage of the intoxicating existence we've been endowed with. But what's life to a lichen? Yet its impulse to exist, to be , is every bit as strong as ours-arguably even stronger. If I were told that I had to spend decades being a furry growth on a rock in the woods, I believe I would lose the will to go on. Lichens don't. Like virtually all living things, they will suffer any hardship, endure any insult, for a moment's additions existence. Life, in short just wants to be.”
Bill Bryson, A Short History of Nearly Everything