Sweetp-1's Reviews > The Boy in the Suitcase

The Boy in the Suitcase by Lene Kaaberbøl

Mar 12, 12

bookshelves: audio, book-loving-kiwis
Read from March 09 to 12, 2012

Wow. A gripping, intense thriller that I finished in record time. The audio version of this was excellent - flawless switching between (what I can only imagine as tricky) European and Scandinavian accents, both male and female. It normally takes me awhile to get through audios, but this had me sneaking off to listen whenever I could grab a moment. Highly recommend the audio version.

The pace is fast - quick, punchy chapters that alternate points of view between a (not too large) cast of characters. This is really effect tool in this case as each character is fleshed out we learn more about their pasts and their motivations, each chapter is like a little piece of puzzle falling into place...until at the end it all comes together with shocking clarity. Everything happens quickly but the author still manages to bring everything to life - there are some really great descriptions and it was incredibly easy to feel like you were right there watching it all happen.

Characterizations is where this novel really impressed me. Nearly all the main protaganists are women - real women with pasts and flaws, intelligent women who are driven by strong convictions, who show their inner strength in sometimes surprising ways, who really shine in a novel where the men have well and truly f**ked things up - though they too reveal their own flaws and motivations. And at the heart, a scared little boy who doesnt say much but certainly pulls on the heart strings. Three-dimensional "real" characters really made this novel for me.

I don't often want my books to become movies but this would be an awesome film.

1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Boy in the Suitcase.