Orlagh's Reviews > Born of Fire

Born of Fire by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Jan 24, 12

Read in January, 2012

In brief: Syn is the son of the infamous Indirian Wade, a most evil and hated man. As such, his life has been miserable and whenever his true identity is revealed, people judge him by his fathers actions, assuming the very worst about him. Since his divorce he has turned to drink and Robin Hood style deeds. Shahara is also no stranger to a hard life, having taken care of her siblings since she herself was a child. She accepts a contract to capture Syn and hand him over to the law.... but is he really guilty of his crimes? Can she overcome her attraction to him and complete her mission?
The good bits: Lots of action, adventure and romance.
The bad bits: Not enough Nykyrian! (The main character from book one). However, Kenyon explains that this is because the book was originally published through another publisher and she was advised by her agent to avoid mentioning the characters from the first novel in this one.
I read this book because: I enjoyed the first book in the series (Born of Night). This (obviously) is book two.
Setting: Futuristic outer space (lots of planet hopping)
Rating: 3/5
Similar to: Born of Night (By the same author), Black Dagger Brotherhood series (J.R. Ward)

This is the second novel in the Born of... trilogy by Sherrilyn Kenyon. It is set in a futuristic kind of universe, where humans and different species of aliens seem to live amongst each other. The characters often travel via space-craft from one planet to another. It took me a little while to get involved with the storyline of this series, as I've not read many books set in 'space', and thus found it weird to visualise, but once I got used to it, I really enjoyed it. The setting really lends itself to the action which is evident throughout the two books which I have read so far.

We were first introduced to the character of Syn in the first book Born of Night. Although he is a great fighter and a computing genius, he is a drunk, having being terribly scarred by both his childhood and his divorce. Born of Fire goes deeper into Syn's past, and we learn that his father was a monster and that Syn (like Nykyrian in the first novel) went through almost every kind of trial a person can possibly face. That's okay with me though. I do like a tortured hero... there's something so compelling about them (case in point: Zsadist from the Black Dagger Brotherhood novels). Syn best describes himself:
“10 things to know about Syn: 1. I hate people, even myself. 2. I only tolerate my friends and I can count those on one hand. 3. So what if I drink? I like my comfortably numb state and it keeps me from killing you. 4. Money can't buy happiness, but it's better than being poor and miserable. 5. We're all victims. 6. I like to choose my own poison. 7. I'm through reinventing myself. I'm on the third incarnation now and it sucks as much as the other two. 8. I have all the friends money can buy. 9. I only trust one man who doesn't return the gesture. 10. I can steal anything, anywhere, any time. Sober or drunk, I'm the best at what I do. ”

Syn is captured by Shahara, the sister of his best friend. Shahara has also had a terrible life, and she accepts a contract (she is similar to a bounty hunter I guess) to bring Syn in to the authorities. She does this so that she can earn money to pay of the massive debts various members of her family owe. However, the capture doesn't go quite to plan, and Shahara finds herself stuck in Syn's company, and dragged into his world. As the novel progresses, she develops feelings for him. Syn (in the style of all tortured heroes) loves Shahara, but because of his past, has a terrible time believing and admitting it (both to himself and to her).

There is a lot of adventure and action in this book, which was really enjoyable. Several times in the story things changed direction, and I was left wondering if Shahara would betray Syn. I enjoy reading 'romances', but I really like them when there is an actual storyline as well. This book certainly provides that, and it is quite fast paced as well. The chemistry between the two main characters is great. My only complaint is that there is nowhere near enough Nykyrian in this book!

I can't wait to read the next book in the series
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Born of Fire.