Sharkcrow's Reviews > What Happened to Cass McBride?

What Happened to Cass McBride? by Gail Giles

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: ya, audiobook, amazeballs
Read in October, 2009, read count: 1

I have no idea why I bought this one – I hadn't read about it on any other blogs, I've never heard of the author, and the cover art doesn't particularly grab me. I guess Audible had a really good write up or something. Anyway, I adored this novel.

Told from 3 points of view, Cass the beautiful, popular queen bee; Kyle Kirby, brother of David who has recently committed suicide; and Ben, the officer investigating the case. From an audio perspective, thank god they've used 3 different narrators – it's easy to keep track of who's point of view you're in (which is important, because the linear structure is all messed up, lots of flashbacks.)

Kyle has kidnapped Cass and buried her alive – this is no spoiler, he admits to this pretty much on page 1. What keeps you listening is the why of it, and whether Ben is able to find Cass before she dies. Giles has also done some very tricky characterisation – there were times when I felt for Kyle and although I personally wouldn't kidnap and bury someone alive, I could see where he was coming from. With Cass, although I knew I should be sympathetic, even in her darkest moment you could see her manipulative personality shining through. The ending has left me wanting more, I need to spend more time searching online for some discussions. It's not a happy read, very bleak, but very thought provoking. The audio was just over 3 hours, so I was able to knock it over in one day (with some sneaky listening at work while I witnessed 160 frikin documents).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened to Cass McBride?.