Brendan's Reviews > CryoBurn

CryoBurn by Lois McMaster Bujold

M 50x66
Feb 02, 12

Read from January 24 to February 02, 2012

Hm, well, it's a genuinely good book. I suppose that's a good place to start. If you accept that Miles has been slowing down somewhat since he died, the pacing and writing are still solid. The little boy, Jin, is nicely characterful, if familiar, although some more interesting characters only appear as cameos.

The world-building isn't quite as interesting as it might have been, essentially a transposing of Japan (giving it an odd cyberpunk vibe at times) with the cryo-vote scam layered on top. It makes the plot feel incidental to the world, rather than a part of it, and I realize this is very much subjective but I just get tired of reading sensei and san after every single name.

I don't want to spoil the ending, which very much makes this feel like the last real Vorkosigan book, but it's very much a reflective story as well. It's a character study in some places, looking back in others, and occasionally bittersweet for those who have kept up with the series.

This book, in particular, being the last, very much reinforces the feeling that this is a series whose characters have really grown, progressed, and changed over time. Many are left in much different places from where they started, though some have a certain air of inevitability. It's a goodbye of sorts to fans as well, I suppose, one last hurrah before the end.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read CryoBurn.