Dave Hogg's Reviews > The All-Pro

The All-Pro by Scott Sigler

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: sf-f, sports
Read in January, 2012

There's a serious problem with this book. Like the first two books in the series, I read this one with great haste. There is so little good sports SF out there that I'm really enjoying this series.

So what's the problem? There's no fourth book! For reasons that I do not at all understand, Scott Sigler did not have the next book ready when I finished this one. Apparently, it isn't going to be out for months. Given the fact that this book ends on an massive cliffhanger, that seems quite unfair.

However, I must acknowledge that, for the first time in the three-book series, I might have found a very small error. It is of very little importance, but I've been gushing over these books to anyone that will listen, and I have a reputation of being massively picky about the ways sports are portrayed in works of fiction, so I have to point this out.

When the Krakens set their roster for the 2684 season, they put 45 players on the active roster and eight on the taxi squad. That's not quite right. Teams put 53 players on their roster, of which only 45 can be active for each game. The taxi squad is made up of players 54-61, who can only be activated by getting rid of one of the top 53 players, and who can be signed by other teams.

(For this to even be a minor mistake, you have to assume that football is using the same roster rules in 2684 that they are using in 2012. However, since Scott has been doing that, and since I'm starting to embarrass myself by how much of a fanboy I'm becoming, I thought I should point this out. It makes absolutely no difference in anyone's enjoyment of the book, and I still think every SF fan who likes football should read this series.)

(Now.)

(And then demand that Scott finish the next book!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The All-Pro.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Matthew Ratte this is a very strange review. I do like to hear about mistakes, no matter how minor, so for that I am grateful. However, it seems like you give it a 4 star instead of a 5 because the 4th book wasn't released yet. Please elaborate if I am incorrect.

Dave Hogg Matthew wrote: "However, it seems like you give it a 4 star instead of a 5 because the 4th book wasn..."

No, no. I was just joking about that! The four stars, which for me is a very high rating, were based entirely on the book itself.