Dave Hogg's Reviews > First Through Grand Canyon: The Secret Journals & Letters of the 1869 Crew Who Explored the Green & Colorado Rivers, revised edition

First Through Grand Canyon by Michael P. Ghiglieri

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in January, 2012

This was the seventh book I finished in 2012, but the first actual brick-and-mortar book. (Well, not actual brick-and-mortar, but you know what I mean. I really love my Kindle.)

I bought it at the Grand Canyon gift shop, choosing it over a book by the same author listing all the people that have died in the Grand Canyon, including how it happened. That turned out to be a lucky break, since my brother already had that one. Let's just say I'm glad I read it after we stood on the canyon rim.

This book, though, combines the journeys and letters of several of the men who took part in John Wesley Powell's expedition down the Green and Colorado Rivers. They started in Wyoming and finished in Baja California. This was a group of 10 (down to six by the end) Civil War veterans who weren't particularly well trained for this, weren't using suitable boats and didn't get along all that well. Fascinating book, and I'd love to travel along the Colorado some day, but not on that trip with those guys.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Through Grand Canyon.