Briana Patterson's Reviews > The Well of Ascension

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson

Jan 24, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2012

Definitely a good second to the first. At the beginning of this book I wasn't sure about Elend Venture. I didn't dislike him from the first book, but he seemed a poor "substitute" for other characters. (Those of you who know book 1 will know what I'm talking about.) However, I was very surprised that he grew on me, as did the other characters.

Like Mistborn, this story is all about the characters. You really feel for the heroes. You really can't stand the villains. Perhaps because the story paints them a little too "black and white" but I think that's the fun of it. You pick a side, and aren't made to feel guilty about it!

It had a few flaws, in my mind, but despite them I couldn't put the bloody thing down. I often have trouble putting a book down when I get into it. I got only a few hours of sleep on a work night and was feeling quite zombie-like the next day. I thought i'd get relief from this when I finished it, but no! It ends and I had to order the third book - Hero of the Ages - immediately! ARGH!

So now I'm losing my sleep to that volume. Now quit reading this and go read the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Well of Ascension.