Stephanie Landsem's Reviews > Sixty Acres and a Bride

Sixty Acres and a Bride by Regina Jennings

Jan 25, 12

Read in January, 2012

When I turned the last page of Regina Jennings debut novel, Sixty Acres and a Bride, I was reminded of a quote from one of my favorite authors, Jane Austen: “but for my own part, if a book is well written, I always find it too short.”

So true, Jane. The story of Rosa, Weston, and their close-knit families of post Civil War Texas was my favorite kind of read: great characters that felt like family, a vivid setting, and historical detail that fully immersed me in the story while discreetly avoiding the history lecture. The character’s deep faith—a faith that kept them both grounded and conflicted—was never preachy or contrived.

Regina laid out the strands of her story—family obligations, cultural differences, an evil villain, and a heartfelt romance—then deftly wove them together in a way that kept me fearing and hoping for her hero and heroine until the last page was turned.

Sixty Acres was a multi-layered read that will leave you satisfied on every level except one. It was too short. Luckily, I have it on good authority that Regina has two more historical romances on their way, and I daresay they will be equally well-written. Regina, Jane would be pleased.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sixty Acres and a Bride.