Holjo's Reviews > Deeper Than Midnight

Deeper Than Midnight by Lara Adrian

Jan 24, 12

Read in January, 2012

Summary: Deeper Than Midnight is Hunter’s story. Hunter joined the Order in the 5th book in the series, Veil of Midnight. He was raised by Dragos as a Gen One assassin, having no family, no personal life, and no weaknesses. It was the compassion from the Order’s oracle child that led Hunter to escape Dragos’s clutches. Now his only goal is to destroy Dragos, his minions, and all of the other Gen One assassins.

Hunter has had zero experience with women, and sees romance and love as a distraction. But when he meets one of the breedmates who was rescued by the Order from Dragos’s prisons, he can’t help admiring her strength and resiliency. Corinne Bishop is a survivor, and nothing will break her will to live.

Hunter volunteers to take Corinne home to her family, but the loving reunion she expects to find turns into something much more sinister. Having nowhere else to go, Corinne joins Hunter to follow a new lead in the hunt for Dragos. They have uncovered the name of one of Dragos’s loyal lieutenants, and they need to act quickly before the vampire can escape their clutches.

During their cross-country trip, Hunter learns that Corinne has a secret that will test his loyalty to the Order and his personal goals to destroy Dragos. And in turn, Corinne learns that Hunter is keeping a secret from her as well. As their relationship heads towards feelings of love, they must both learn to be honest and trust each other.

Meanwhile, back in Boston, Sterling Chase is in bad shape. The only thing keeping him from turning rogue is physical pain, and even that is not curbing his bloodlust entirely. Teetering on the brink of disaster, Chase continues to pursue Dragos with a vengeance.

Review: This is one of my favorite (top 3) books in the series so far. Honestly, I was surprised I liked it so much. Hunter is a killing machine, with hardly any connection to his human side at all. His lack of personal history, lack of emotions, and lack of interaction with people makes him an unlikely candidate for an intense love story. Like Hunter, Corinne has very little personal history. She was only 18 years old when she was originally abducted, and she has lived in captivity for 3x that long. However, I found that the unlikliness of this love match is exactly what made it so enticing. It wasn’t their pasts that made them interesting characters, it was their faith and hope in a better future that made them so vibrant.

Hunter’s personality reminded me a lot of Tegan, the Gen One hero from book 3, Midnight Awakening. He doesn’t dwell on his past the way that Tegan did, but his fierce, untouchable, violent nature is very similar. Tegan has been my favorite warrior in the series, so I obviously like this type of male character. Hunter quickly became a favorite as well, and this was a very happy surprise.

The other storylines back in Boston are exciting as well. After making several important strikes against Dragos, the Order is finally facing a major setback. I’m not going to share any spoilers, but be prepared for a very emotional ending.

Today is finally the day that the newest book in the series, Darker After Midnight, is released. Yay!! I’m anxiously awaiting the copy I pre-ordered, and I will post a review as soon as I’m done reading it. I can’t wait to FINALLY read Chase’s story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deeper Than Midnight.