Kirsten's Reviews > In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote

Nov 25, 09

Read in November, 2009

This was a very good book. Basically it surrounded an event which would have made a good Take A Break story - multiple murder of a likeable family in deserted farmhouse - but as it was written by Truman Capote, it had a bit more credibility. And he managed to 'pad it out' a little bit as well. I liked that this read like a novel but when I typed in the killers' names in to google images I got their real-life 1960 mug shots up on screen. The only problem was that largely the fascination in this story centred around the killer Perry Smith, who was a bit of a headcase. Really what I wanted and possibly what Capote found most interesting as well was analysing Smith's mind and thought processes and mental snarl-ups. But had this been indulged then the book simply would have been a case study on criminal psychology. I'm not such a fan of TS's writing style per se here - a little bit long-winded and slightly self-aware - but this was a book I couldn't wait to get back to each time. Very enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Cold Blood.