Cheryl's Reviews > Secrets and Shadows

Secrets and Shadows by Shannon Delany

Feb 05, 12

Read from January 24 to 31, 2012 — I own a copy

There are spoilers from 13 to Life in this review.

In Secrets and Shadows, the Rusakova’s are on a mission to find their mother, while Jessie and Pietr are still trying to figure out a way to let Sarah down gently so she doesn’t go nuts or revert back to her previous mean girl self. However, after an incident with the CIA, Pietr grows more distant and appears to have decided Sarah might be the girl he should be with. In response to that, Sarah finds herself hanging out with her former crush, football star Derek, who’s definitely showing an interest in her. Of course, not everything is as it seems and we find out a lot more about the Rusakova’s, Jessie and other secondary characters in the series.

It had been well over a year since I’d read 13 to Life and I honestly couldn’t remember a lot of the details, but Delany did a good job of reminding me of most of what I had forgotten relatively early in the book. I’d picked this one up because I’ve got tons of books to read and figured I should start reading some of the stuff I’d had sitting around for a while, not thinking I’d be all that into this one. I’m glad to say I was wrong; there was a decent amount of action, we found out more about the Rusakova’s, and there were a couple of pretty big developments with both main and minor characters. The book ends on, not a cliffhanger, per se, because we know what’s going on, but definitely on something that’s going to be a main focus of book three.

The only thing that really annoyed me about this book (it bugged me in the first one, too), is the whole triangle thing with Sarah (even though she wasn’t aware of it), Pietr and Jessica. I mean, really, you’re going to tell the guy you like, and who likes you, to keep going out with the girl who killed your mother because you think she’s so fragile? Plus, if that’s what you decide, don’t get all kissy-face with the guy behind her back. Other than that, I really enjoyed this book; I recently bought Bargains and Betrayals and look forward to reading it soon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets and Shadows.

01/30/2012 page 282