G33z3r's Reviews > Honor Among Enemies

Feb 19, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: science-fiction, military-sf
Read from February 14 to 18, 2012

This sixth novel in the Harrington series was, for me, the slowest read so far. I found it a little frustrating, perhaps because my imagination ran too far ahead of me.

It starts out with some war planning and political intrigue back on the Star Kingdom's home world. Part of this may be preparation for the next phase of the war (and subsequent novels); it also explains why the Royal Navy recalls Harrington to active duty. Of course, she dutifully resigns her position as Admiral in the Grayson fleet to become mere Captain of a lowly Q-ship (an apparent merchant ship armed and used as decoy, a term derived from their origin in Queensland during WW-I) Capt. Harrington is sent out to reduce cargo ship losses in a backwater neutral space zone.

Author David Weber then begins a lot of subplots. As he has done in previous novels, he places a lot of pieces on the chessboard and then sets them all in motion, writing from many points of view. The mind races with thoughts of how these elements will all interact. The surprise (and, honestly, disappointment) comes from the fact that they never really do. I kept expecting all these threads to twist together somehow, but each of the subplots seems to get taken care of separately, one at a time, the same way they began. It's as if half a dozen short stories have been folded together, being told concurrently (for the most part, on the same spaceship) but never really relating to one another except as items on Harrington's to-do list.

It's not that some of the space battles aren't exciting. Weber's continued willingness to kill off secondary characters always keeps a reader wondering. But it remains a succession of individual and isolated fights and never seems to reach a climax. It's an entertaining read, but somehow a little unsatisfying.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Honor Among Enemies.