Vidya Tiru's Reviews > Haroun and the Sea of Stories

Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie

Jan 24, 12

I own a copy

This is one book that should be in both the children’s and adults’ sections in libraries and bookstores. I read some sections of it to my son last year - he loved it and we reread it again sometime back. I wrote most of this review at that time but added some more comments after reading it all over again with my son.

Haroun and the Sea of Stories is a wonderful book by Salman Rushdie. Reading this book was like seeing a beautiful sunset - as the colors change, your mind is filled with awe and joy at the most simple and at the same time, the grandest beauty you can see. You see the sunset everyday and each time its magic reaches you and delights you anew. I found the same magic in this book. Rushdie’s use of Hindi in the book for place names and character names and references to real life places and characters in this fantasy book are both perfect. It is a story of magic, heroes, satire, hope, laughs, sad truths all in one and everyone who reads the book is left with something wonderful when they finally (if at all) put it down.
Rushdie tells the story of story-telling/a story-teller here - of the power of the written word. As Haroun journeys to Kahani to help restore his father's story-telling powers, he has wonderful adventures and meets delightful characters each of which are unforgettable even after you put down the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haroun and the Sea of Stories.