Natalie 's Reviews > Accidental Genius: How John Cassavetes Invented the American Independent Film

Accidental Genius by Marshall Fine

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: new-york-city, cinema, memoirs
Read from November 08 to 13, 2008

I so clearly remember the circumstances around which I bought & read this book: fall 2008, strep throat, five days off from work, scenic strolls through Central Park, purchasing tulips to stick in recycled Kombucha bottles adorning my apartment, snuggling to bed with this. I read it in less than a week, even though it wasn't a super compelling Cassavetes biography (how is that possible). For THAT kind of book, check out "Cassavetes on Cassavetes" by Ray Carney, which is my favorite type of biography: an oral one! Still, I guess it was super helpful to have a narrative, Wikipedia-ish approach to the life of this man, one of my heroes, if only because I like referencing the facts! The best parts are the bits about the creative ways he would finance his films and his pro-active involvement of his family in making them, of course. The pictures included in the middle are also really beautiful: he seemed really tender and athletic, what majesty. And it goes without saying he had the most gorgeous and brilliant wife on the scene: "got the hottest chick in the game wearing my chain."
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Accidental Genius.