Zeke's Reviews > Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking

Quiet by Susan Cain

Jan 01, 13

bookshelves: 5stars, nonfiction, favorites
Read from January 24 to February 01, 2012

I hope Quiet is read by every introvert out there and everyone who may be in a relationship with an introvert....really anyone hoping to gain understanding about intro/extroversion.

Susan Cain offers up an incredibly engaging, comprehensive look at introversion. She takes a multidisciplinary approach to the concept of introversion in a culture where we are often measured against an "Extrovert Ideal" - in the workplace, schools and social settings.

She offers workable, empowering solutions to introverts, parents of introverts, managers of introverts. It's not a self-help book; she is a pragmatist. She offers ways to honor who we are but also offers up ways to still function successfully in social situations, work, marriage and friendship.

Highly recommended to all introverts and plenty of great information for the extroverts out there too!

Side note: I would have possibly given this book 4 stars if I'd not heard her speak recently. Her speech was incredible and more concise than the book. As a result, I thought a few chapters could use a little editing but this book and her speech so resonated with me personally, I bumped up my rating to 5 stars.

Lastly: a tiny quibble--in the end, she offers possible advice to introverts who may be unhappy in their jobs. One career change she suggested--"get your degree in library science"--this is just laughable. Librarianship is often a highly social career but I appreciate her sentiment. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quiet.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by paula (new)

paula She's going to change her tune about that librarianship comment once she's been to ALA. :)

Elaine Searle I hope it is also read by every extrovert - so that they can understand that introverts do like "quiet" and don't like to have "the gang" around them all the time. Especially that they don't need to pity introverts for their few friends but to realise that we have different needs. My extrovert brother asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said, in all sincerity, for him to read this book. He didn't get the message but sent me a video which he thinks is great, but unfortunately, not my sort of thing. He is a loving brother and this book really helped me to understand him. Now I wish he would read this book to understand me, and the other "quiet" ones in our family.