Sarah's Reviews > The Sword-Edged Blonde

The Sword-Edged Blonde by Alex Bledsoe

Jan 24, 12

Read in January, 2012

I wasn't really sure what to make of a fantasy mystery, but I was willing to give it a shot when I found out that the author lives in the same town I do.
I wasn't disappointed.
At first, the story starts out like any mystery PI's investigation would - collecting clues and solving a mystery. But then the mystery becomes something else, and our somewhat downtrodden and self-loathing hero has to delve into his past to find the information he needs to save his friend and his friend's wife.
The first few parts of this book have as little to do with fantasy as anything else, but the pervasive magic of the setting starts to come to the fore as the story progesses. Seemingly inconsequential details from the start of the story become more and more important. Eddie has to face the ghosts of his past and face his own failures in order to reach a new success.
The conclusion works for me, and works in the context the author established.

As an added bonus, for Wisconsin residents, Bledsoe name-drops the names of several Wisconsin towns and cities for you to find and enjoy. I suppose some people might find such details distracting, but I found it amusing
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sword-Edged Blonde.