Sparrow's Reviews > The Master and Margarita

bookshelves: eastern-europe, reviewed, monsters
Recommended to Sparrow by: Bo
Recommended for: Joseph Pilates
Read in February, 2004 , read count: 1

The story I am about to tell is made approximately 70% less funny by the fact that it is associated with this book, so if you've read the book, the part that I think is the punch line will probably be obvious before I tell you. Oh well, though.

When I lived in Ukraine, there was a volunteer who was a pilates instructor, so my friend, Margarita (real name), and I were talking about going to a pilates class. One of our gentleman friends overheard us, came up to us hesitantly, and asked, "Is that how you say that word? P-I-L-A-T-E-S? Pill-AH-tees?"

"Yes," said Margarita. "Wait, how do YOU say it?"

"PIE-lets?"

Margarita burst out laughing and laughed for a good fifteen minutes.

A few months later, when everyone was reading The Master and Margarita, I ran into our gentleman friend again. "Have you read Master and Margarita yet?" He asked me.

"Yes," I said, "I don't think I love it as much as a lot of other people."

"I like the parts with pon-TEE-us pill-AH-tees," he said.

"WITH WHO???" I asked.

"pon-TEE-us pill-AH-tees."

"You mean Pontius Pilate?!" I asked, and laughed for another good fifteen minutes. Sometimes, you can't win.

I don't have much to say about this book. I thought the beginning was solid and then it wandered, but I get, in theory, how it is somehow associated with Soviet national spirit, and that seems cool.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Master and Margarita.

05/05 marked as: read

Jason I hated this book.

Les Be careful, Jason. ;)

Sparrow I saw that.

Jason Oh, did you? That's nice. Yeah, I recognize how important it is to the canon of Russian lit or whatever, but the book really frustrated me. I was hoping to love it, but I suppose it just wasn't meant to be.

message 5: by trivialchemy (new)

trivialchemy Hahaha! This is my family's favorite kind of joke. I can guarantee you that I'm going to re-tell it to my father over Christmas. Thanks for the laugh.

Sparrow Yay! I'm glad the joy of this story will continue! I saw margarita in August and we were still laughing about it.

Yeah, I don't have that much of an opinion about it, Jason. It has a similarity to paradise lost that seems cool, but a lot of it makes no sense to me.

message 7: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah THE MERSTER ERND MERGERITER!

Jason ERMAHGERDDDDD!!!

s.penkevich Amazing story! Ha. Pontius Pilates needs to become some new creepy workout video. You have to do lunges holding a huge cross or something.

Sparrow haha! It will be a workout sure to firm the abs of athiests and god-fearin' folk alike!