Kara's Reviews > Austenland

Austenland by Shannon Hale

Mar 06, 09

did not like it

I actually listened to this as an audiobook. To be honest I was disappointed. I have so loved her other books (Goose Girl, Enna Burning, Princess Academy) and this book fell so far short of my expectations. It was a different kind of book, a more adult story, but the romance and relationships seemed flat, silly and uninteresting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Austenland.

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Amen, Sister!

I felt tingles in parts with many of Shannon's other books, but with this one, I felt like the standard of her characters' moral integrity drooped. I was disappointed in the heroine and wanted her to be as strong as the heroines in her other books.

I will admit though, that it was a clever idea, enough to keep me reading to the end of the book. (Surely every woman who has loved any Austen books has wondered at one point or another what it would be like to live in the Regency era--this was a diverting exploration into that thought...As soon as this book came out, my curiosity was peaked by the title, but I was pretty disappointed after reading about half way through.

I hear Shannon's new book, entitled something like The Actor and the Housewife has just come out. From the premise, it sounds a little disappointing as well, but maybe the heroine learns a strong lesson in the end in this one, who knows?

Have you checked out Shannon's website (squeetus.com)?