Sharon's Reviews > Sense and Sensibility

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

Jan 24, 12

Read in January, 2012

I have read Sense and Sensibility more times than I can possibly recall; certainly at least a dozen times. What caught me this time, oddly, was how remarkable Emma Thompson's movie adaptation was. S&S is my third favorite Austen novel, but it has its weaknesses; strange timing, the odd Willoughby confession, and meandering sentences that lack the precise punch of her stronger novels. I have seen the movie so many times now I could write half the script down without too much effort, and I realized I could do an almost exact comparison of large portions of the dialogue. Her brilliant editing truly amazes me; while the movie isn't perfect (nothing so short really could be), it does the book more service that the book does itself at times.

At any rate, as always, a wonderful re-read - and particularly meaningful to me right now, these reminders of fortitude and strength, in the midst of recently challenging times. Would that we were all Elinors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sense and Sensibility.