Marlene's Reviews > Your Dog Is Your Mirror: The Emotional Capacity of Our Dogs and Ourselves

Your Dog Is Your Mirror by Kevin Behan

Mar 06, 12

Read from January 24 to March 05, 2012

This book was a disappointment to me. My biggest complaint would be that it was written more like a college text rather than for the general public. A brief example: "If they go by the little brain in the gut, then they will act in tandem, so that one will recapitulate the principle of emotional conductivity in the other, and social behavior will inevitably result." I also thought that some of his theories were a bit over the top and that a lot of what he does and says has to do with his relationship with his father which he still seems to be trying to resolve.
That said, he did have some good points. He comes from the stand point that a dog is a dog, not a human, and that we humans have to learn to understand why a dog behaves as he does, and not put human reasoning behind it. He talks about the dog feeling emotions that we give off or that are in us and I agree to a degree, just not to the degree that he sees it. So, that the dog is our mirror is a concept that he takes much deeper than I would.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Dog Is Your Mirror.