Clarissa's Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: psychological-thriller, 2012-read
Read in January, 2012

Emma Donoghue delivers a spectacular novel in Room. The book is narrated by five year old Jack and is about his experience with his Ma as they live in captivity. Jack has never been outside Room. He doesn't understand that there IS anything outside of Room. He has a TV and thinks that everyone and everything he sees in TV is on other planets. I was very skeptical coming into this book. I didn't think it was possible for an adult to write convincingly in the voice of a five year old who was raised in a room and had never been out of it. What kind of developmental setbacks would he experience? Would he even be able to walk properly? What about his eyesight? Could his brain even develop properly with such limited stimuli? I had all these questions and doubts going into this.

And I was wowed when I read it. It was totally plausible. There were no parts that gave me pause. I went with Donoghue where ever she wanted to lead me. She did a spectacular job. I found the voice hard to get into, but I anticipated that going into it. Once I was used to "listening" to a five year old talk to me, through an ENTIRE book might I add, I got used to it.

I would recommend this book to a book club. There are people who love it, and people who hated it. It is sure to have any book club group talking, and it might even get them to talk about the book they were suppose to read to:)
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.