Katie's Reviews > Bag of Bones

Bag of Bones by Stephen King

Jan 24, 2012

liked it
Read in January, 2012

So this is my first Steven King novel. There are others on my list that I want to read, but somehow this one was first. For 25% of the book I thought he rambled on forever, getting no where fast. Then the last portions of the book really got me. I did enjoy it. Did I think it was 5 star worthy? No. First let me say, I LOVE paranormal books. And as far as the paranormal portion of the book went, I thought that was excellent. I could see what was happening, I could feel the chills. I loved that it wasn't some scientific explanation at the end. What I didn't like was the rambling. I can tell how much there is when I start skimming pages to speed it up. There were parts that were very descriptive, but to me, had nothing to do with the story. As I was skimming pages, I remembered my father who was a HUGE King fan - he owned every book in hardcover, loved his writing, etc, once telling me that King was getting too long winded in his books. He told me that probably 10 years ago. I would have to agree with him. Anyway, if you can suffer through the first part, the last half is pretty much worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bag of Bones.

message 1: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary I have to agree on the long winded part. I have noticed that myself and kind of stopped reading his books because of it. =)

J.N. Yeah, he is very long winded. But worth it, in the end.

message 3: by Gdi (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gdi Stephanie I listened to King read this to me on audio book in the car. It did drag in the beginning. If I had been reading it I likely would have put it down. I'm grateful that I run so many errands because the story did finally grab my attention and I found myself volunteering "to run to the store."

Joanne Boughton It's Stephen...not Steven and start with his earlier works. Even back to his Richard Bachman books like Thinner

message 5: by Jim (new) - added it

Jim Cullender Katie, I know your Comment is old (2012) now but, at least it gives me hope. I recently got hurt and was given this book to read while I was "in bed" trying to heal and I was looking forward to reading more Stephen King (I used to be a pretty big fan but I haven't read everything and I'm not sure I still want to). I'm still trying to get through The Stand (but I don't have current access to my copy) and the prospect of not having to read a tome to enjoy a King story was exciting. Sadly, so far, the reading has not been. This book starts slow. after reading your review I will finish Bag of Bones but I have to say not everything King writes is of equal quality. I remember having to almost force myself to finish Cujo (and I didn't like the movie either).