Karyn's Reviews > The God of Small Things

The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy

Jan 07, 09

bookshelves: 2009-n-before, award-winning
Read in January, 2009

ok, So.. twins are born. From 2 different eggs. They have twin-ly tendencies.
They behave like children and accidents and other things happen. Around them other events unfold. Family, love - Forbidden Love, Politics, tradition...all come together centred around the arrival (and then) departure of Our Sophie Mol.

This is the basic gist of this book. but the way the story is written really makes it a very good read.
I first tried reading this one ages ago and had quickly put in down then. Those initial pages didn't make a lotta sense then to want to continue.

So when I picked it up again this time (mostly for lack of anything else to read at home in India) I wasn't expecting much.
I don't think I've read anything with this style of writing before, and that's what makes this an awesome read. The parts where the children make observations on the things around them and the way things are learned by rote and not understood and hence the emphasis on Prer NUN sea ayshun was awesome and also relatable in many ways.

The capitalizing Significant Words and runningtogether other words did the trick.
Like the parts about the Bar Nowl and when Ammu tells Rahel to Stop-it and so she Stopiteds.
The story goes back and forth in a very easy manner, and its only the style of writing and flashbacks that make this story a remarkable account of how the small things build up to a tragedy that changes lives forever.
I can see why this book won a Booker Prize.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The God of Small Things.