Kristin Aragon's Reviews > Masters of the Veil

Feb 27, 12

bookshelves: ya-paranormal
Read from February 11 to 15, 2012

Originally reviewed at Better Read Than Dead

I absolutely adored Masters of the Veil. It is a unique and creative read in today's sometimes overwhelming YA market. Daniel is taking JK Rowling's lead and putting a whole new twist on fantasy. I love that this book starts in Texas...being a Texas girl myself. When you combine Texas and Football...well, you can't go wrong. Then you throw in a heaping spoonful of magic and POW...you have the makings for an extraordinary novel. Congrats Daniel...you brought your A game. Ok...enough fan-girling. Let me tell you a little about this book.

Sam, the All-American hero - popular, talented, and a bit cocky - finds himself in a whole new world after a disastrous football game. Somehow he managed to freeze time and that, my friend, has consequences. Not to mention, from that point forward, things just continue to get weirder for Sam. He finds himself kidnapped and shuffled off for the Atlas Crown. Here he is expected to learn about his magic and how to control his powers. Hopefully Sam can return to his normal life...sooner, rather than later. At least this is what Sam believes he wants.

Sam is a very real character. He faces doubts, temptations, mistakes, and eventually success. He does so in a very teenagerish way - impulsive, angry, and with the finesse of a...well, football player in a china shop - so to speak. He's not happy with what seems to be his destiny...he wants to return to his hometown, play some football and possibly go pro. He wants to flirt, date, and worry about everything else later. He finds magic difficult and doesn't really have the temperament to work through it patiently. This will be his ultimate downfall. What teenager doesn't get frustrated and temperamental from time-to-time.

Daniel's writing is creative in ways I can only dream about. He invents foods that I'm dying to taste, animals that shouldn't exist (but I love that they do), and characters who make you feel. Daniel did a guest post about a character, Glissandro Thicket, who could only speak by playing his horn. I loved Glissandro. Born without the ability to speak, he was lucky enough to be a part of the magical realm. He acquired a horn...which you can read about HERE...and through sorcery, the horn now speaks for him. He is a strong but shy character who you can't help but fall for. Even the girls have a hard time keeping their hands off him.

Now...for those of you looking for heaps of romance...this isn't one of those books. There is flirtation and hints of relationships to come. Some girls are vying for Sam's attention, others are not so impressed with his cavalier and sometimes downright hostile attitude. With all this said, I highly recommend picking up Masters of the Veil...especially if you are looking for something off the beaten path. I doubt you will be disappointed.

The only problem I had was interpreting the different terminology. This is a high-fantasy book with many author-created terms. Other than that...a perfect diversion from my everyday life.

Masters of the Veil is an action-packed and thrilling ride through a magical land. The twists and turns will hold your attention and keep you on the edge of your seat the entire time.

Other Masters of the Veil related posts:
~Guest Post: Glissandro Thicket
~Interview with Daniel Cohen

*Thank you to Kate Kaynak, Daniel Cohen, and Spencer Hill Press for providing me with a free uncorrected ARC in exchange for my honest review. You guys are wonderful!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masters of the Veil.

02/12/2012 page 160
53.0% "Very unique...awesome read so far!"