Stephanie Driscoll's Reviews > The Art of Fielding

The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach

Jan 24, 12

Dear Chad Harbach,
I just want you to know that I’m in love with you. Or…I should probably say that I’m in love with your book, “The Art of Fielding,” or I should probably just come right out and admit that I’m in love with Mike Schwartz. Plus Henry Skrimshander. So. Oh, and Owen. I had no idea what this book was about it and I picked it up because I’m well, a book snob, and it was doing it so well, and everyone was giving it so much praise. Oh. Also, before this continues I think you should know that I hate baseball. Like, really hate it. I think it’s boring, and forget about watching it on TV. But this book, centered around the lives of the players of the Westish College Baseball Team, is beautiful and engaging and one of the most character driven novels that I’ve read in a long time. I cannot possibly say enough good things about this book. This was, by far, perhaps that best book that I’ve read in the last year, and one of the only books that I didn’t want to end, mostly because I wanted to meet up with the characters, maybe convince Henry to go to a bar, and then sit in the stands and watch them all play. For a first novel, or a fiftieth novel this is brilliant and so heartbreaking I can’t even stand it. So thanks, ya know. For all the work. It didn’t go unappreciated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Art of Fielding.