Jack's Reviews > Paranoia

Paranoia by Joseph Finder

Jan 24, 12

Read in January, 2012

I read first read Joe Finder's PARANOIA when it came out in 2004 or so; Joe is a college chum, and a damned fine master of the genre. For my father's birthday, I bought him Joe's newest, BURIED SECRETS. As a travel precaution, I packed PARANOIA for the weekend trip to Florida. This was well worth it - despite this being a hardbound copy. (Well, actually, a signed 1st edition. So there.)

My return flights were a weather nightmare; delays at every turn. I was thoroughly absorbed in Joe's thrilling revved-up tale, and honestly didn't mind the endless prattle about "we'll be departing soon" as I was so caught up in the story of a sleek young man with a sloppy work ethic who gets thrown to the lions in a game of high-stakes corporate intrigue.

Although I did dimly know the ending, this did nothing to diminish the pleasure of a real page-turning story, as we relish our dashing hero avoid one disaster after another, making mistakes, making discoveries, making enemies. He loses his way and concocts yet another lie, escaping time and again.

Finder's writing is polished, assured and utterly absorbing. I'm getting BURIED SECRETS for the train to DC on Friday.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranoia.