Bethany's Reviews > Explorers of the Nile: The Triumph and Tragedy of a Great Victorian Adventure

Explorers of the Nile by Tim Jeal

Jan 24, 2012

bookshelves: history, audio
Read from January 24 to February 05, 2012

"Most people are bad. If they are strong they take from the weak. The good people are all weak. They are good because they are not strong enough to be bad."

It was actually a really great book, though tough to listen to because there's a TON of geography. I had to stop and check Wikipedia and maps several times to get my bearings. It's the story of the brave men, who along their brave porters and guides, went in search of the source of the Nile. It's also the story of the Africans they encounter, and the end of the book is a great summary of the Victorian explorers' effect on the tragedies and triumphs of 20th (and 21st) century Africa, especially Uganda and the Sudan.

This is the only audiobook I've ever listened to that had issues with the editing - the narrator breaks off at one point and curses! Haha!

I'm really looking forward to reading his Stanley biography.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Explorers of the Nile.

04/01/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy Reed I noticed the cursing also - pretty funny! I have never heard that before in any of the audiobooks I have listened to. I keep looking things up on Wikipedia also.