Holly 's Reviews > Mercy Come Morning

Mercy Come Morning by Lisa Tawn Bergren

Jan 28, 12

bookshelves: books-2012

I don't know if any of you have watched The George Lopez Show, but that is what this book vaguely put me in mind of except in a more serious tone. The lead character's mother drama seemed much like George's on the show. He thinks all his mother's intentions were bad to only find out the underlying reasons she was like she was.
The book did keep my interest though. I wanted to find out what was happening even when the book lulled in spots. I was way more interested in reading about her mother's experiences than Krista's though. I'm sure she is an intriguing character, but it wasn't the vibe I got. I also liked that this book was based in the hispanic culture. I haven't read many fiction books about Hispanic-Americans so it was a nice twist to a genre that can become worn out. So many of the novels I've come across feature the same culture, and ideas that I don't feel like I was exposed to anything new.
I also like how this book features a woman who is in her late thirties and still single. For some reason the books I read that feature young women desperate for marriage annoy me. I feel less pressure about the expectations society places on women to marry early when I read books where women have matured a great deal before pursuing the idea of seriously being with someone. It feels a lot more relatable even though I'm in my early twenties.
This book focuses on a mother-daughter relationship with a side of romance. I don't think it's the typical Christian romance book, and I like how the author tries to make something different.

This book was provided by Waterbrook Multnomah in exchange for a review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mercy Come Morning.