Phillip's Reviews > Ubik

Ubik by Philip K. Dick

This is a true wild ride. People on the colonies need something to keep them from going crazy from lack of stimulation. There was a product Chewzee. You chew it and set up a little house with accoutrements and for a while you get to experience living in that house as though it were real.

There is a company that makes the houses and accoutrements. Then a new product is introduced a spray called Ubik that does the same thing only better. There is a power struggle over market, and the question of whether or not Ubik is allowing aliens to control the people who use it or not.

This novel has all of the things that Philip K. Dick is famous for. There are alternative realities, and you don't know which is reality. There is conspiracy. There are the usual flawed people looking for human connection.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ubik.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Hey I have a question. Is this book explicit? Moreover, does it have sexually explicit scenes? Thanks!

Phillip Scott wrote: "Hey I have a question. Is this book explicit? Moreover, does it have sexually explicit scenes? Thanks!"

A character cheats on his wife and there is no doubt about what he is doing, but none of it is described. I would not call it explicit or even sexual in any way.