Isamlq's Reviews > Partials

Jan 25, 12

bookshelves: arc-galley, aaw-yeah
Read from January 24 to 25, 2012

Holy...Awesome!

It’s been a loooong while since I’ve felt this excited about a post apoc/ dystopia YA. I thought I’d burned out on them after reading Starters and Eve and heck even Shatter Me; the lack of detail in the first two and the over indulgent writing in the other simply put me off. So I really am not kidding when I say it’s been a long time since I’ve felt this excited about a book of this type.

It's a little like Grant’s Feed (or Deadline) because this too does not limit itself to heart pumping chase scenes and big explosions (though there was plenty of the same here.) And if Feed had George and Shaun mixed in a plot of more than just one thing, PARTIALS was a little like that by going into the usual elements but delving deeper into each without sacrificing the pace. Specifically, it tackled the virus bit that most post apocs have beyond the superficial level; there was lot of detail (that likely went over my head); yet I did appreciate the lengths to which most things were explained.

There are sides in this one too. It’s is so much more than a story of the fight/plight of a rebelling faction; or even just that of controlling higher ups. There’s more than two sides here. And I liked how each side made the story more than just a little complicated. One thing is for sure, I was focused on trying to figure what the real deal was and who the real baddie was, or at least who the greater evil was. I mean it’s obvious that the Senate was up to no good, but like I said some of them could be passionate and fiery about their stand and sometimes effectively convincing. Then with the slow unfolding of one plan then another plan then yet another? OK, just color me impressed.

It’s split in several parts and in each part I found something that I enjoyed. Part one introduces some very passionate people who, I’ll be honest had me raising some questions. Mainly that they’re all so young and yet all sounded so old! BUT after considering the context, the when/where /how of the way they were living in, they actually did make sense. Given that, I was very impressed by the passion they showed… even when they disagreed, no, especially when they disagreed. With each argument, I got pulled in then understood where each was coming from, then ended up not quite sure about who to side with. My favorite moments though were towards the end. Those twists? I knew they were coming, but still… Awesome, anyone?

And it could get scary at times. There are more than a couple of things in this one that were scary. Why is it that in books like these, it’s the women who have to bear the brunt? The scary bits aren’t even about the virus or the humanoid soldiers (fascinating though those may be); the terrifying bit was when it touched on weighing a person’s liberties versus the “good” of all, reminding me a little of Offred and her story.

Want.next.one.now.

3.5-4/5
Thanks Netgalley!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Partials.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Say (new)

Say i heard this is good, how are you finding it so far?

Isamlq Say wrote: "i heard this is good, how are you finding it so far?"

irequest mo... i really like it :)

message 3: by Say (new)

Say Isamlq wrote: "Say wrote: "i heard this is good, how are you finding it so far?"

irequest mo... i really like it :)"

oo nga eh muka ngang maganda....cge will do....thanks!

Jean Awesome review as always, Isa. :D

Joy (Cheery♡Reads) Sounds great. This makes me excited to get it. Did you read this as an ebook since it's from Netgalley?

Isamlq Joy wrote: "Sounds great. This makes me excited to get it. Did you read this as an ebook since it's from Netgalley?"

Hi Joy! yes, I did get it from NG :)

message 7: by Roshini (new) - added it