Owen's Reviews > Confessions of a Political Hitman: My Secret Life of Scandal, Corruption, Hypocrisy and Dirty Attacks That Decide Who Get Elected

Confessions of a Political Hitman by Stephen Marks

M 50x66
Jul 08, 08

Read in July, 2008

I picked this up while browsing that bookstore on Grand Ave. in Oakland. I was curious about what experiences a veteran opposition researcher had. This book is written extremely poorly. There are many typos, awkward sentences, badly made arguments, and few insights. The structure of book also leaves a lot to be desired. This guy would've benefited a little from a ghost writer, although his work in general wasn't all that interesting and he just doesn't have all that much to say.

On the other hand, he's worked on a large number of electoral campaigns and it was interesting to see what he was able to dig up. For anyone familiar with this type of research, there are no big surprises. It's all public records research with conflict of interest, hypocrisy, and unpopular decisions as bread and butter products - from court records, tax records/property records, news articles, interviews etc. Nevertheless, it's a very quick read and gives a good flavor of the methods and uses of opposition research in electoral and other contexts (e.g. corporate).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Confessions of a Political Hitman.