LK Hunsaker's Reviews > String Bridge

String Bridge by Jessica Bell

Jan 24, 2012

Read from February 14 to 23, 2012

** spoiler alert **
Literary fiction and music! How could I resist this one?

Debut author Jessica Bell is also a guitarist/songwriter, which lends a ton of credibility to String Bridge, the story of a musician turned wife and mom who has given up on music for her other duties. I so easily related to Melody as I did the same with my writing for so many years after marriage and children. I tuned right in (pun intended) to her distress at losing herself as she gave up her passion, to the emptiness and how the longer she drifted away from who she was, the harder it was to give to others, to relate to them. Exactly right. Any artist of any genre will fully understand.

I'd like to give it a 5 because of the depth of emotion and nailing so precisely how so many women feel when they abandon themselves for their families. However, there were a few things that threw it a bit. The first half is very slow and overly descriptive. I enjoy description when it lends itself to the story. However, when it goes so far as to describe every footfall and the way a rag sounds as it is dropped into the sink, for no apparent reason, I get a little edgy. I also found myself getting annoyed at her constant inner whining about the same things all through the first half. To be honest, I didn't like Melody much by around the fourth chapter.

But then things picked up. The first half took me several nights to get through. The second half I read all in one night because I didn't put it down until the end. In some ways, I thought it was a bit rushed and the end was fairly predictable after the big climax, if a little too coincidental. But I did like Melody again as she picked herself up and started to DO something about her misery.

Overall, it was a nice read with plenty to ponder and I loved the realism of the music world and the locations due to personal author experience. A recommended read. I look forward to more of Bell's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read String Bridge.