Sarah's Reviews > The Churches of Christ in the 20th Century: Homer Hailey's Personal Journey of Faith

The Churches of Christ in the 20th Century by David Edwin Harrell Jr.

Feb 05, 12

bookshelves: religion, library-book, non-fiction, iu-libraries, wells-library
Recommended to Sarah by: Petros
Read from January 24 to February 05, 2012

This book won't be terribly interesting to anyone who was never a part of the church of Christ. I think the author is still a part of the church of Christ and seems to be writing for people familiar with it. He drops a lot of names as though the reader was familiar with them in the same way a gossip magazine drops the names of celebrities at this or that gala event. He doesn't go into much theology, either. That is, he will mention that one faction was on this or that side of an issue, but he doesn't spend much time explaining why each group felt the way that they did. You would think that this would be for space restrictions, but this book is hella long and repetitious. I mean, let's be clear. This is the church of Christ we're talking about here. They are not so much known for innovation as repetition. You hear one sermon, you've heard them all. And then you spend fifteen years taking thrice weekly naps so that your brains don't melt.

But I digress.

The man does relate his facts pretty objectively. He doesn't usually pick a side. It was interesting to see the roots of the organization to which I belonged for so long while having so little understanding of where it came from. I knew that there were divisions in the church, but naturally I assumed that the faction I ended up with was the correct and strong one. Aaaaas it turns out, not so much. So, this book is probably most useful for figuring out where on the tree your nut grew. My nut grew waaaaaaaay out in right field. (Florida College, folks! One of a kind institution. Who knew?)

Oh, and I totally learned why we had to hear so many dang sermons on premillennialism. Yes, yes it was because the church split over it eighty years ago and old dudes have long memories.

So. That's that book. Long sucker. J.T. Smith is in it, but nobody else I've met personally. Unfortunately, he doesn't come out very well. Oh, well. I never did like PowerPoint anyway.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Churches of Christ in the 20th Century.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Wow, this sounds like a very interesting book. Can't wait to read your review. Will probably have to read it myself!