Maura's Reviews > Now I Can Die in Peace: How The Sports Guy Found Salvation Thanks to the World Champion (Twice!) Red Sox

Now I Can Die in Peace by Bill Simmons

Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: non-fic, baseball
Read in March, 2006

It's a book compiled of columns Bill Simmons wrote between 1997 and 2005 chronicling the path of the Red Sox to their World Series victory. What you need to know is:

(1) to really love this book, you need to care about baseball at the very least, but better yet, love the Red Sox.
(2) but even if you don't, you'll probably still find his writing style amusing (i've been known to read his columns on the NBA even tho i'm not sure i know any current players beyond Shaq. They're still funny - plenty of pop culture references.)
(3) his use of footnotes rivals Terry Pratchett
(4) i got all teared up reading about the end of the ALCS & the World Series. [If i hadn't already been certain i need to own this book, the last 40 pages clinched it. It'll be one of those things i read when i just need something to cheer me up. i'm such a sap!]
(5) the part that made me laugh the most? "YOU'RE RISKING A PATIENT'S LIFE!" I swear, reading his columns is so similar to the AIM chats i was having with my friends during those games.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Now I Can Die in Peace.