Maria (Ri)'s Reviews > Empire Falls

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

Jul 03, 07

bookshelves: bookring, general-fiction
Read in May, 2004

I found it a generally pretty good read. One of the things I really noticed about Russo's writing style was that it really mimicked the pace of the characters. By that I mean that when the story is about small town life just ambling along, the words (and my reading pace) ambled along as well. When there is a sudden change in the energy and pace of the story, my reading changed right along with it. I found that towards the end I couldn't put the book down and had to finish it in a marathon session. Earlier I was content to read a few pages here and there on the train to school or whatever.

Also, while I am sure that Russo identified with all his characters on some level, it seemed that the voice closest to his own was Father Mark. I enjoyed reading the bits about him and the sound bites of wisdom he would interject. I had only hoped that he would be featured a little more.

Overall, it was a nice read. Not life changing for me, but definately enjoyable and I even found myself reading a few passages out loud to my husband.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Empire Falls.