Nicholas's Reviews > Masque of the Red Death

Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

May 25, 12

Read from April 28 to May 17, 2012 — I own a copy

Araby, a.k.a. The Scientist’s Daughter, is a character built with exquisite thoughts, mixed feelings and finds that she is battling against her own humanity. Griffin has given the historical fiction lovers a piece to be remembered. Though altering Poe’s original work, any fan of Poe will certainly appreciate what Griffin has done with the themes, contrasts and characters from the original story.

The title alone is what caught my attention before winning this book through goodreads. Being a Poe fan myself, the cover and title were very intriguing and I can see why Griffin attracted thousands to the giveaway. I know the old cliché “Don’t Judge a Book by A Cover”, but let’s face it; the cover is the selling point of any book. It’s what draws you in, marketing you and saying “Read Me Now”. With all that being said, the cover design for Masque of the Red Death is very appealing to anyone who reads this genre. Nice job, Griffin, you have hooked all of our curiosities.

The writing style that Griffin uses in Masque is easy to follow and has somewhat of a Bohemian feel to it. I imagined a world filled with famine and disgust, which is what I am hoping that Griffin intended. A gray world, disease, pain, anguish and let’s not forget the Corpse Collectors. All these aspects made this a very sad and eye opening read. Our humanity is at risk in the story and Araby finds that she is on the brink of death no matter which way she turns. She finds little hope to cling to and is torn between two loving characters, one mysterious and the other a sensitive brute, very uncommon characters for today’s writings.

All in all, I’m giving Masque four and a half stars. The other half star missing is because of the commonality of a girl being caught between loving two men and choosing. This has been done many times over and even though Griffin gives it a great twist and not making it the main theme of the book, it is still present. I miss just a classic darkened love story, without the hiccups that cause the conflict of being caught between two lovers.

If you need something that happens to be a little different and gives a twist to such a classic tale, Griffin has done an excellent job with not re-writing the story and messing up the details. She has made the story her own, giving a whole new look on the original book by Poe. In fact, even if you haven’t read Poe’s Masque of Red Death, Griffin’s tale is still very enjoyable. Fantastic job, Ms. Griffin, I have enjoyed your book immensely and look forward to whatever chapter you decide to put out next.

Nicholas.
Life of Death
Book One: The Growing Dim Project
Book Two: Book of Joel

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Masque of the Red Death.

04/28/2012 page 46