Thorn MotherIssues's Reviews > Mighty Be Our Powers: How Sisterhood, Prayer, and Sex Changed a Nation at War

Mighty Be Our Powers by Leymah Gbowee

U 50x66
Jan 24, 12

bookshelves: read-2012, adoption-reading-challenge
Read in January, 2012

I assume there's a newer version pointing out that Gbowee actually won the Nobel Peace Prize for the peace-making work detailed in this memoir, but that's just one more reason to read this.

The foster/adoptive content is scattered throughout. I've read another book that talks about the Liberian tradition of "fostering" in terms of taking children from poorer parts of an extended family or sometimes a completely different ethnic group and bringing them to a wealthier family where they can work as servants and maybe get some education. Gbowee's family history involves a fostered relative, but there's also a lot of shared parenting, even before their family is torn apart by civil war. Especially during the war, it seemed standard to send one relative with a huge group of children (often her own and her relatives') to some place the family hoped would be safer. Gbowee spent significant time doing her activist work while her children were in another country, and also took in a child who was being neglected and raised her as a daughter during that time.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mighty Be Our Powers.