Mike Jansen's Reviews > A Path to Coldness of Heart

A Path to Coldness of Heart by Glen Cook

May 28, 12

Read in May, 2012

The Dread Empire series by Glen Cook is one of the series that I have been following since the early nineties, when I first discovered the author and his work. I am particularly fond of Cook's ability to write about immense worlds while honing in on the particulars of even small characters, giving his writing a gritty and realistic feel, even if the themes and subjects are as magical as they can be.

This book continues where 'Reap the east wind' left off, with Bragi in captivity. Without going too much into detail, this book shows off many of the powers and influences that were hinted at or referred to in the earlier books. Unfortunately because of all those powers, the specialty wears off soon. Describing age old and very complicated characters in a few well chosen words is difficult. That for me is what is missing in this book. It is as if Cook tried to tell the high-level story, while his other books showed life from the gutter.

Still, the book answers many questions, so from that perspective I consider it a book worth reading more than once. Also, the end is still open in my opinion, so I'm not sure that this is really the last book in the series.

If you liked the previous books, you'll like this one as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Path to Coldness of Heart.