Kwesi 章英狮's Reviews > Jellicoe Road

May 20, 12

bookshelves: owned, melina-marchetta, 2012
Recommended to Kwesi 章英狮 by: Alona
Read from May 17 to 19, 2012 — I own a copy, read count: 1

*Photo taken from The Filipino Group and created by Aaron, you can read his review here.

Jellicoe Road, the prettiest road I'd ever seen, where trees made breezy canopies like a tunnel to Shangri-La.

The place is dark and I can't nearly see everything that surrounds me. With a lampshade sitting on my side and a long pillow sleeping in the other, this is the night that will fulfill my dream, my dream to visit the well-known Jellicoe Road. The prettiest among the roads without walking, just a simple stare and a very long read. Silence. I can hear the laughs of the children and the memories, ready to burst in a second, written in the cold stones for years. The history is ready and the skirmish, begin!

Jellicoe Road, written by an Asutralian author Melina Marchetta, is my first book from her best and well-known works for years. It was a pity that I never touched her books in the past and somebody should pull me around and feed me her book just to read it, and it was great! I can't believe it, reading Melina Marchetta is an exciting new experience. Something everyone will enjoy or not, somehow the target of the book is straight to your heart.

I would like to thank Aaron for sharing this book with everyone and to his great F2F discussion last Saturday (May 20, 2012). The laser tag was fun and I would like to give another round but my breath is chocking me in my neck but in the end, I did not make it. I would like to discuss the book with others but in the simplest way, I write a review for everyone to understand why I gave this book three stars and also thanks to Jzhun for sharing his insights but the night left me hang forever.

[image error]

The TFG (The Filipino Group) peeps were running away from zombies inside a dark neon-colored room with laser guns to kill those fuck up creatures. Kidding. The peeps were just having fun tagging each other and the winner is, ugh, the Red team (not my team). Guys, we'll do better next time! Aja!

Taylor Markham was abandoned by her mother when she was eleven years old and when she was fourteen, she tried to escape the boarding school to search for her mom in Sydney, but the attempt was failed and met the guy of her life. At seventeen, she was pointed as the head of the underground community; she will lead her team to an annual territory game with the Cadets and the Townies. But when she is in need of someone in her life, Hannah (her guardian) was lost and the clues left behind will lead her to the history of the skirmish game and will change her future forever.

When I first read the first chapter of the book, which is a very long introduction besides the very short heartwarming prologue, I was so confused that I wanted to put the book down from my hand but my instinct keep me from reading it or maybe I was so frightened not to finish the book on time. The first chapter will first lead you to Taylor assigned as the leader of the underground community in in the boarding school to lead the territory war among the Townies, Cadets and them. Because Marchetta only spilled small amount of facts regarding the territory war or the skirmish and the school terminologies because I'm not used to Australian educational system, the readers will find it a bit confusing, no, very confusing, that in fact few of the TFGs in the past who attempted to read it put it down as early as Marchetta will spill the bucket of facts in the middle of the book. Well, only the courageous one can finish Jellicoe Road and will wash himself from Marchetta's magnum revelations.

The manuscript, which is another story of a group of friends in the old town and written by Hannah, Taylor's guardian, was another cool element of the story and a friend of mine, Aaron, site it as the "dual narrative" (a good blog post from Guy Gone Geek about The Duality of a Narrative.) Dual narrative is another effective technique to show the story of two different characters, places or period and usually tell the story in two different perspectives. The Manuscript gone mad and it was the mystery in the two point of views that made me connect the dots from the first page to the last. Well, it was predictable and I find it a little bit disappointing; because I want the mystery will not reveal itself until the epilogue of the book or maybe I expected a lot from Marchetta. Maybe some, the dual narrative may find it a work of another genius, for me, it's just another technique that other authors mastered.

Lately, I have this close connection between the main characters of the books I read. And I hate the most about Taylor is when she whine because her life sucks! Yeah, there are those when she keeps on whining and repeating her problems from her head and blame others of putting her into that state. From that, she pointed out other characters as that and other these to confuse readers. Unfortunately, in my case, I'm not and I stuck to my own idea of who was that and who were these. This kind of character might be an effective one, but this kind of character annoys me a lot or maybe her hormones should be blame here. The capital S part is quiet disappointing, it's too short to be good like they are just doing it because of heat, maybe. There is no love that night but purely physical. I love her, because she acted like a strong mother to others.

But what I love most in the book is the setting of the story. Was it real or not? I'm just a curious lad who really wanted to visit Jellicoe Road. Whether fictional or not, the setting of the book made me jump with over excitement that I though I'm walking into the forest, where branches are lying to each other making a canopy. It's like heaven on Earth, a shangri-la itself! I missed my place, I lived in a small town before and those branches, well, they really exist and the view, well, it's another real issue. Other than that, I also manage to observe that each ending of each chapter had a heartwarming touch of sadness. It's a good motive to continue my reading, I feel solace.

Reading Jellicoe Road, well, it was like how the Sydney Morning Herald said:

"Melina Marchetta has a knack for writing stories that swallow you up and refuse to let you go until you've read every last word."

You don't have to pick most of the positive sides of the book, it's just that the book already push you into reading even not liking it as much as your friends does and not knowing the possible reasons why.

[image error]

I love those cookies! Who baked those? I think I ate the Hermit's place. It was amazing anyway, even though it smelled swampy with grassy texture (I think I read swamp next to the Hermit's name). By the way, Taylor (DC) or maybe Jessa, what are you doing there? I can't even enumerate those Houses except Darlings.

I read the book slowly so that I can answer the discussion's questions and because of my hope to attend the discussion early, I was so disappointed that I'm late, no, I missed the whole discussion. Overall, I like the Jellicoe Road and I will always treasure it even I find other Marchetta's works better. This will always reminds me of you, the wicked in the outside but nice in the inside. It's like exchanging those songs but I use books to describe you and super thanks for sharing such nice song for me. Mabuhay!

[image error]

The TFG (The Filipino Group) peeps in the end of the discussion in front of Asya, Eton Centris, posing for a final group picture before leaving. 1... 2... 3... Say Jellicoe Road!

*The photos posted above were taken and permitted by Maria Ella of Markings of a Dreamer. Photography as her hobby, well, she took lots of amazing pictures from the discussion. Kudos friend and thanks for accepting my permission.

Given by Alona as a Christmas present.

Rating: Jellicoe Road by Melina Marchetta, 3½ Sweets

Challenges:
Book #74 for 2011
25 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jellicoe Road.

05/18/2012 page 64
15.0% ""Who are they?" the Cadet sitting next to him asked.

Jude looked at Webb's face, the grin stretching from ear to ear.

"They're my best friends. I'm going to know them until the day I die."" 3 comments

Comments (showing 1-34)

dateUp arrow    newest »

Kwesi 章英狮 My friend gave me this copy and I think she bought it from NBS. Try to contact NBS through twitter or call their branches. Haha.

message 33: by Milo (new) - rated it 4 stars

Milo Read it na!

Kwesi 章英狮 I'll try this week. Haha.

Maria Ella woohoo~~ congrats! :D

Kwesi 章英狮 Thank you, I did it on time! Haha.

Isamlq 3 stars. Explain please. Joke, but really, I'm curious about the rating.

Kwesi 章英狮 I'll write a review tomorrow. It seems that the book is predictable, I mean, I expected a lot and tried harder to solve the italicized parts. Sayang, but I'll try to read other Marchetta's works. Haha.

Isamlq Kwesi 章英狮 wrote: "I'll write a review tomorrow. It seems that the book is predictable, I mean, I expected a lot and tried harder to solve the italicized parts. Sayang, but I'll try to read other Marchetta's works. H..."

Hmmm.... I wonder what you'll think of Saving Francesca and Looking for Alibrandi. I do think you'd love The Piper's Son (at least I hope you would) because it's my absolute favorite book by MM.

Kwesi 章英狮 No choice but I have to like it. Haha. I reserved a copy of Alibrandi form Fullybooked since last month and it seems that Fullybooked forgot about it. :( I'll try to check online stores for MM books.

Ingrid Haba ng hair mo, I mean, ng review mo

Kwesi 章英狮 I know, this is so far my longest review ever.

Rollie Not contented too. :D

Rollie This will
always reminds me of you, the
wicked in the outside but nice in the
inside. It's like exchanging those
songs but I use books to describe
you and super thanks for sharing
such nice song for me.

Your mom/dad is? :D I forgot.

Kwesi 章英狮 Not contented, which part, my review or the book?

Kwesi 章英狮 It's a secret! Haha.

Rollie Jinojoke lang kita. Ginaya ko lang post mo sa review ko. :)

Rollie Bwahaha! Malalaman ko rin yan.

Kwesi 章英狮 I know. Haha.

Rollie Alam kong may ibang reason ka pa bakit 3 lang at di mo nasulat diyan.

Kwesi 章英狮 Like what? I've been putting everything there. I think the spoiler part, I did not mention in my review. No need for them anyway or it will make my review longer.

message 14: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited May 20, 2012 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 I remember, I forgot to put my disappointment to the Skirmish. Wala lang, I think I already hinted something above.

Rollie Yun nga. Haha. Anyway, nice long review. haha. Welcome back to book reviewing world! :D

Kwesi 章英狮 The book reviewing world is stressing. I wrote this for two hours with editing and so on. I'm hungry.

Rollie You review fast before. What happened? :D

Maria Good to see you writing reviews again. Dapat pala sumama ako sa laser tag, para nanalo team mo. bwahaha!

message 9: by Kwesi 章英狮 (last edited May 20, 2012 07:39PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kwesi 章英狮 @Maria: Kainis, weak kasi si Rollie! He kept on swagging his gun everywhere. Haha. And I need a bottle of ointment for my legs.

Kwesi 章英狮 @Rollie: I don't know, I think I need to practice writing again. Haha.

Rollie Kwesi: First time ko kasi. Kala ko constant yung laser pag yung trigger eh hinold mo. Di pala so yun. :)

Yes, you should start practicing again writing reviews. :D But I think pinagbubuti mo lang pagreview mo ngayon kaya matagal. :)

Kwesi 章英狮 I think so. Anyway, thanks. Haha. And please, listen to instructions or watch the briefing video before playing that deadly game!

Rollie Haha. You kept on asking me about the video too.

Kwesi 章英狮 At least I asked and understand than done nothing. Haha.

Rollie Haha. Okay. Kaw na!

message 2: by Shovelmonkey1 (new)

Shovelmonkey1 Looks like a great group!

Biena (The Library Mistress) KWesi, kamusta to? Nakita ko to sa NBS sale eh. Paang 150 na lang ganun pero di ko binili hahaha. Parang feeling ko baka di ko magustuhan