Sarah's Reviews > The Last Battle

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis

Jul 08, 2008

bookshelves: middle-grade, fantasy, christianity, novel
Read in February, 2007

I really enjoyed all the books in this classic children's series, whatever the "correct" order to read them in. Personally, I think reading them in the order they were published makes more sense than following the internal chronology of the series, so I'm going to review them in that order. The forays into the magical land of Narnia are great fantasy/adventure books for children of any age, yet are interesting enough to keep even adults entertained. They're a little old-fashioned and stuffy, but serve as a reminder that that's no reason that a book has to be boring.

They can also be viewed as Christian allergory, but that theme's prominence varies from book to book, and honestly, if you aren't that familiar with your Bible stories, you may not even notice the similarities, yet if you're looking for connections, you'll be surprised how many you can find.

The Last Battle: Clearly the last book in the series is also one of the most interesting. The Christian allegory is probably strongest here (although it's pretty strong in MN & LWW, too) as it is truly the last battle for the Narnians. It sort of reminded me of the end of the Left Behind series. Eustace and Jill return to Narnia in an attempt to help Prince Tirian free the Narnias from the rule of a false Aslan.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Battle.