Katie D'Angelo's Reviews > Apollo 13

F 50x66
Jan 24, 2012

liked it
Read from January 24 to February 16, 2012

It was certainly an interesting read and quite informative without being overly technical. I enjoyed the writing style for the most part but felt that some key moments in the flight were glossed over (for instance, why is the critical PC+2 burn told from the perspective of the man on the Iwo Jima rescue ship?) but others were told in slightly too much detail (for instance, the names of just about everyone from four different support teams at ground control). I thought the book did a good job of keeping you connected to the characters without going into detail on their personal lives.

There are a few disparities from the movie mostly involving ground control, but I can understand why the movie would need to add a little more excitement to the ground control scenes than a bunch of engineers hovered over data sheets and computers.

Overall, the book seems to be a good description of the events that occurred leading up to and including the Apollo 13 flight without showing much bias for or against space flight, politics at the time, etc. It was a good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Apollo 13.