Anna's Reviews > Blood and Bullets

Blood and Bullets by James R. Tuck

Feb 06, 2012

bookshelves: review-books
Read from January 23 to February 06, 2012

f a vampire infestation ever becomes a real concern, hey, it could happen, I'd want Deacon Chalk in my corner. 100%. No questions asked. This southern badass has an arsenal of tricks up his sleeves, all delivered with vicious precision. Who knew a toothpick could be so deadly? And he has wicked knowledge of all the best guns, ammo, and he definitely knows just where to shoot.

The writing style of James R. Tuck brings another unique male voice to the urban fantasy/vampire scene, by combining exceptional detail with complex, yet relatable characters. Chalk had his world turned upside down when his family was slaughtered by vampires, yet instead of playing victim, he chose to do something about it. Even the secondary characters, like Father Mulcahy, Larson, Charlotte, Kat and Tiff, bring something valuable to the story, bringing humanity of all types to the story. More importantly, this cast of characters are what keep Chalk slugging along in a world full of ruthless vampires. He isn't afraid to die, but he doesn't necessarily want his friend to meet that same fate, so they stand together. In an odd sort of way the employees at Polecats are Deacon Chalk's new family, and they all understand the dangers that hunt in the night.

A little bit Blade and a little bit Laurell K. Hamilton...even some of the word choices, like "flavor of power" reminded me of my favorite vampire executioner, only with decidedly less sex. Actually, I think we get a whopping one kiss, maybe two, so if your looking for a sexy romp then this might not be for you BUT...if you want a bloody, action-packed thrill ride full of evil vampires and one ass-kicking bounty hunter, well, Blood and Bullets is exactly what you need.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood and Bullets.