Christopher Smith's Reviews > The Shadow Rising

The Shadow Rising by Robert Jordan

Jan 23, 12

liked it

I find The Wheel of Time series tiresome, for the most part. The plot and characters vastly improved over the course of the first few books, but there is no relief from Jordan's penchant for over-describing everyone and everything in his fantasy world, down to the last fingernail or grain of dust. I doubt I'll manage to plow my way through the entire series before the next Breaking of the World.

Having said that, I think it's worth commenting on one thing Jordan does really well. He's very good at portraying his characters' misunderstandings of each other's motives. Particularly in The Shadow Rising, he has this trope down to a science. Better: a finely-honed art. Each character has his or her own interpretation of what the others do or say, and those interpretations are wrong more often than not. Yet they judge each other harshly based on these misconceptions, many of which never get corrected.

Probably Jordan takes this trope too far; his characters keep too many secrets and choose too many extreme courses of action when something less radical would do just as well. But I love seeing the differences between the characters' perspectives, because it is so much like the messiness of reality. (It probably takes a sweeping, rambling epic like The Wheel of Time to capture this messiness well. So maybe I shouldn't be too hard on the guy for that.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Rising.

message 1: by Loyd (new)

Loyd Everytime he describes a woman wearing a sheer dress that leaves nothing to the imagination I get a chuckle.

Christopher Smith lol. Yeah, I notice he has certain motifs that show up again and again (and again and again and again and again...).