Becky's Reviews > 42 Miles

42 Miles by Tracie Vaughn Zimmer

Sep 09, 08

Read in July, 2008

What the jacket says: "Linked free verse poems combine with scrapbook-style illustrations to create the vivid portrait of a girl who is trying to find herself amid the pieces of her life."

Loved this one. Just loved it. JoEllen (Ellen to her city friends; Joey to her country friends) divides her time between her two parents. Since her parents' divorce, she spends part of her week in the city with her mom, and the rest of the week (or should I say the weekends) with her dad in the country. Living a separated life isn't easy. Her dad and mom not to mention her city friends and country friends all see her differently. Which identity is her real identity? Who is she really when she's not trying to be all things to all people?

Many young adult novels focus on identity. Teens and preteens coming of age, coming to term with who they are and what they want. 42 Miles is a great example of this. Here we have an intelligent young girl beginning to transition into young adulthood. Just beginning to define who she is and what she wants. There's always a fine line between trying to be who your parents what you to be and being true to yourself. JoEllen is just beginning to discover this. Trying to define what is important to her.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 42 Miles.

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer Becky, have you read her other two novels in verse? I just read Reaching for Sun, which is about a girl with cerebral palsy. The other one is Sketches from a Spy Tree. Both are good. I've got 42 Miles currently checked on interlibrary loan. I hope to read it this weekend.