Julie(Reading By The Beach)'s Reviews > Strangers

Mar 29, 12

bookshelves: own
Read in March, 2012

Originally at http://readingbythebeach.blogspot.com...

Dark, emotional and gritty. Oh, and don't forget steamy and hot. Strangers is deeply intense, sure to pull in the reader.

Kate and Charlie are two extremely screwed-up individuals that harbor dark pasts. Now, I don't condone suicide(who does?), but Kate and Charlie's lack of wanting to continue life undoubtedly bonds them. They each have depth which is perfectly portrayed by Barbara Elsborg's writing. Kate is a greatly likable female protagonist. She may not believe herself to be strong, but she is and that's the beauty of her character. The reader gets to see all the positive attributes of her character as we watch her struggle with her inner demons. She's also very witty and the banter between Charlie and Kate adds to the story, further showing the undeniable connection that these two possess. Kate and Charlie have similarities but they also have vast differences, and not just that Charlie happens to be famous. Charlie is a piece of work, he's, of course, smoking hot, but he is haunted by past events in his life that affect the way he acts in the present. He has unbridled rage that he tapers down with sex, drugs and alcohol. Simply put, he's a womanizing cocaine addict that hates himself. They each have inner demons that are fighting to drown them, and individually they are helpless to fight back, together they become the others life preserver.

As the story opens up we are introduced to the two characters as they literally collide. We are then swiftly taken to first Kate's events leading up to the attempted suicide and then Charlie's. I found this to be a successful way to reveal both of their pasts in a simple yet artful way to rely the information. If you follow my reviews then you already know that I love stories that provide the males perspective. Strangers does this and, quite frankly, the story needed this. There is so much going on between Charlie and Kate, as well as separately, that we need to see both perspectives. To say that the reader will be taken on an emotional roller coaster is an understatement. Strangers is filled with witty banter, steamy sex scenes, raw, emotional moments, tender moments and even moments that might have the reader flinching back from the abrasive reality. But what a read!

If you are a reader who enjoys steamy romances between two unlikely, desperate, people that perfectly fit together than Strangers is for you. Just a warning, though, Strangers is an erotica story so if you aren't into adventurous sexual scenes then I would not recommend this book to you. Also, needless to say, you should be 18+ to read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Strangers.