kelllsify's Reviews > The Vespertine

The Vespertine by Saundra Mitchell

Aug 01, 2013

did not like it
bookshelves: absolute-poop, so-much-potential-but-no, ya, beautiful-covers, historical-fiction, supernatural-paranormal
Recommended for: people born in the 18th century
Read from July 16 to 18, 2013

I hate this story because the author can't write. The Vespertine was such a great idea! The concept was just so original! And BOOM, the author ruined everything. I don't know how many times the author would write something like: "...for it was pretty, ...for it was dumb, ...for it was cheesy, ...for this style is just so fucking dumb". DAMN IT, MITCHELL. SHUT UP. And her pretentious prose just sounded so fucking try hard. Sometimes it worked, but other times it was just unnecessary. As Orwell once said, using big vocabulary just seems like you're trying too hard to be professional. It actually doesn't mean anything.

And the story development! The way the story was executed was just so trivial and TERRIBLE. Mitchell doesn't know how to develop her characters. Instalove! Instalove! Instalove! Not just instalove, instaSTORY! A story was created out of just random events happening, but the real question is HOW? How did it get there? How did we reach this point?

Reading this book was just like reading the beginning and end of a story. Where's the middle? There's such a large gap between what's happening to what has happened.

Gross as fuck.

Don't read this book, just love the cover.

Are you religious? 'Cause you're the answer to all my prayers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Vespertine.

11/17/2011 page 1
0.0% "Kind of nervous to read this..hmmmmmm. Maybe I'm just expecting too much. I hate anticipation because 65% it leads tto disappointment"
11/17/2011
2.0% "UMMM..what's going on?"
11/18/2011
13.0% "Very general idea as to what's going on........either there's something wrong with the kindle version, the author does a poor job at explaining things or I cannot read and comprehend things. Or maybe all of the above."
11/18/2011
19.0% "Amelia is so annoying..oh my God...and I actually dislike this style of writing, it's too flowery"
11/18/2011
23.0% "Feel asleep reading this, that's always a good sign. What the fuck she just happened? Ugh the writing......"
11/18/2011
46.0% "I think I'm starting to understand......wow do I know how to fucking read?!"
11/18/2011
52.0% "The fuck is up with this writing?! Oh my god.....and how am I already 52% done, nothing has happened!!!! Where is the tortured artist!? The climax?! Oi..."
11/18/2011
67.0% "It's never a good sign when all I want to do is put the book down and just read the spoilers"
11/18/2011
83.0% "Oh so disappointed...I feel no emotion towards any of the characters. Read the spoilers already but will be finishing this book tomorrow afternoon. And review...hmmm"
07/16/2013 marked as: currently-reading
07/16/2013
6.0% "Reading this beautiful and hopeless book over again"
07/17/2013
51.0% "The writing is lyrical and pretty, but a bit trivial and try hard at times. How does that even happen?"
07/18/2013 marked as: read