Stefani's Reviews > House

House by Frank E. Peretti

Mar 08, 2012

it was ok
bookshelves: paperback, swapped
Recommended to Stefani by: the bargain books table
Recommended for: anyone who doesn't require an explanation to their books
Read from February 27 to March 08, 2012 , read count: 1

I have only one word for this book: BO-RING! Well, okay maybe there are two: BO-RING and CONFUSING!! But let's start with the basics. First and foremost: SPOILER ALERT, please read no further if you don't want to be spoiled.

Jack and Stephanie are married. They are driving through the middle of a rural area to go see their marriage counselor. You get the feeling that something really bad happened in their relationship but you don't quite know what. Jack is bitter and resentful toward his wife, who appears to be the queen of disconnecting and denial. They get stopped by Officer Lawdale and told that the road is closed and they will have to take a detour. On the way down this detour they have car trouble. And in this context car trouble means running over a strip of nails left in the middle of the road. They travel to an inn to get a room for the evening and meet Randy and Leslie, who had the same experience with their car. From here, things get bad when the owners of the inn; Stewart, Betty and their disturbed son Pete, inform them that "White" is coming to kill them.

So that's the basic premise, sounds promising right? I thought so too. Add in the fact that it is a collaboration of two of the most respected names in the horror genre and I was ready to settle into a terrifying thrill ride. And boy was I disappointed. The following are my main issues with this book:

1. All the characters are so stupid and unlikable you almost want them to all die. They are pathetic and mostly run around trying to save their own skin and being scared. Personally, I wanted to see them fail and fall victim to the serial killer.

2. You really have no idea why the serial killer chose these people. Sure he seems motivated by sin, but none of these people are really THAT bad. They are pathetic and weak but not evil, but that's what you're expected to believe.

3. It reads too much like a movie script. Have the book is written in prose and its very difficult to visualize. As a movie it might work, but as a book it just made my head hurt.

4. You never actually get any answers. Maybe the house was possessed. Maybe it was the work of demons. Maybe Susan was an angel, maybe she wasn't. Maybe by accepting their fate Jack and Stephanie escaped the house, but why? They won't tell you.

Ultimately I was left unsatisfied and disappointed. Hopefully these two authors do better work on their own, because this collaboration was a failure.
5 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read House.

02/27 page 35