Allison Parker's Reviews > Turtle in Paradise

Turtle in Paradise by Jennifer L. Holm

Jan 29, 12

bookshelves: historical-fiction, juvenile, caudill2013
Read from January 23 to 26, 2012

Down on their luck like most during the 1930’s, Turtle and her mom dream of hitting it rich. But for now, Turtle must move down to Florida’s Key West to live with her aunt. There she discovers some rotten cousins, life without shoes, and the pursuit of buried treasure.

With the exception of those who devour it, historical fiction can be a tough sell for many readers. For me, this book rises above many “typical” books set in the past. Turtle is a smart, feisty young lady, who can enjoy the company of her rowdy boy cousins while still finding them mostly idiotic. Interesting details about the time period are delivered through her rather jaded eyes.

“…then they’re all talking at the same time, about shovels and boats, and I can’t help but think that this is exactly like something a Hollywood screenwriter would tap out at his typewriter. And I just bet some dumb director would cast Shirley Temple to play me.”

Tweens with similar strong opinions about celebrities and entertainment will identify with Turtle despite their different times.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turtle in Paradise.